Breakthrough is not always comfortable


Easter is a time when Christians think about sacrifice and humility among many other things and these ideas-sacrifice, pain, humility, triumph-have been on my mind. It’s quite interesting because I have had some positive and remarkable things happening to me lately and I have been more excited, sensing a breakthrough in my purpose and in my business not to mention that I’m on the final chapters of my first book which has been a journey and a quest to complete. Yet in the midst of all this, I have also had some difficult personal experiences going on and I’ve had to make some hard decisions. The two extremes have left me wondering about the true nature of success and have led me to the interesting realization that breakthrough is not always comfortable.

This is rather strange isn’t it? I’m sure when you think about your breakthrough moment – that promotion you’ve been waiting for, that business deal that will launch your company into a profitable enterprise, completing your undergrad or masters degree or any other aspiration you’re committed to-you think about the happiness and the celebration that will accompany the moment of glory, walking on air as people around you rejoice and applaud, feeling like you’re on top of the world. And this is all well and good but then sometimes it’s not quite that simple. Often we may miss out on our breakthrough or it may pass us by completely because it doesn’t look like that grand moment – it’s uncomfortable, disturbing, challenging…it’s difficult. Yes, the celebration will come, yes the grand moment is there but the greatest breakthroughs also involve discomfort. Brilliance and success requires us to change, to adapt which means there is some growing pain involved through which we are molded to adjust to that breakthrough and surpass it.

If you’re wondering why your moment of glory doesn’t look or feel like it should then be assured that it doesn’t necessarily mean you’re wrong or that you’ve messed up, it just means that you’re moving to a new level, shedding parts of you that must go in order for you to truly triumph and move to a higher place. If you’re also struggling to make a difficult decision that you know is good for you, then be comforted – decisions that are meant to bring positive change in our lives are sometimes the most uncomfortable. Just because it’s the best thing for you doesn’t necessarily mean it’s easy.

Regardless of any difficulties - gather your strength, stay focused, stay committed to your breakthrough…the discomfort and the sacrifice makes it that much more worthwhile.

“….Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference”

Excerpt from “The Road not Taken” by Robert Frost

No comments:

Post a Comment